Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gift Giving

Being in the middle of the holiday season, I am reminded of the true values of the holidays. Tired of the marketing and selling of products frenzy, I have gotten away during the holidays to remove myself from the craziness. In an attempt to blind myself as much as I possibly can, I feel blessed that I have been able to remove myself and be with family of my choosing.

I do have to give it to the deals this year. At least there was a small business Saturday and cyber deals on Monday. I am sure the rest of the days of the week will be covered soon. It nice to see that money is trying to be spread all around instead of taking the lack approach and acting like there isn’t enough for everyone. Here’s the thing though, the holidays aren’t about gift giving, is it? Gift giving is just good for business or is it? I do enjoy gift giving during the holidays and for me that is spreading love and devoting quality time to loved ones. Yes that is a gift. Remember that is why we call it the present. As adults, how much time do we spend playing together? Singing together? Just having a good time?

Yes, I am the simple and ready to make gift type. I enjoy putting in time making meaningful gifts for those I love. I make photo albums and favorite meals/deserts, watch favorite movies and try to ignore all the messages and distractions that we are bombarded with during this buying season. I give away old clothes and recycle unused gifts. It is great to start off the New Year with a clean closet and clutter free space.

So this season, I invite you to choose your gifts, wisely. Be intentional and be willing to truly connect with those you love. As Maya Angelou says, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you make them feel.” Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment