Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Feeling safe?

 


I speak of feeing safe and unsafe often.  I struggle myself with feeling safe when I know I am in a hostile environment.  Hostile environments are filled with emotional violence, assumptions, bias.  Most of the time there Is an unawareness of any of these perspectives being present.  The fear displayed drives some people to dominant the conversation, others to push their individual agendas and for some to take a small, narrow worldview. 

How do we push through when all of this is happening? Day to day we are always assessing how safe each minute, each interaction, each setting is for us.  As a person of color, I have to decide whether I am going to fully commit to getting involved or completely engage when I feel there is not a space for me at the table.  Overall, I do my best to contribute in the most productive way I can in the moment. 

Individually we all must commit to ensuring that everyone is welcomed and feels safe.  When you feel safe, there is a confidence and security.  You are assured and are in a great mindset to even advocate for the good of all.  The most important part is to check in and check ourselves.    We must all practice self-awareness and self-reflect in order to make room for everyone at the table.  I know for sure I don’t enjoy these experiences so I want to reduce the chance that it happens to others.  It all starts with us as individuals and how we contribute to the space.


No comments:

Post a Comment