Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Why religion?


It is a cultural norm in the US to avoid conversations on politics, sex and religion.  It is interesting for me because much larger conflicts could be avoided if we actually had these conversations no matter how sensitive it can be.  I think we are getting better about talking about religion.  The media has been enjoying leading the conversation on politics while sex is still lagging behind.

Oprah is certainly taking the lead on spiritual conversations including ones of religion.  Her recent series, Belief celebrates all religions and traditions all over the world.  I watched over and over again how belief can bring people together in so many different ways.  This is what I enjoyed about religion in my early years of life: just coming together in community.  Nothing builds community like common values and beliefs.

I take bits and pieces of religions to satisfy my spirituality.  I have read and continue to reflect on the Tao te Ching and sound like a Zen Buddhist at times.  I recognize and know how Catholicism naturally seeps out from my Latina culture and subsequently in some of my actions.  Thomas Moore seems to suggest something similar in the book, A religion of one's own.

It seems that nowadays, folks are okay with claiming their spirituality whether religious or not.  Of course this means something different to everyone, For some it does mean participating in the religion of their choosing.  For others, it can be yoga, quiet reflection, meditation, silent retreats or other activities.  The common belief is that there is a greater power among us.

I guess I haven't been one to shy away from the harder conversations.  I wouldn't suggest making religion, sex or politics the subjects of a first conversation,  If the subjects come up naturally and you are comfortable, why not engage?  Exploring in community may be just as beneficial as exploring on your own.  Either way the final decisions are up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment