Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Some of our greatest hits


People say all things come back.  Well, I have noticed the celebration of the 80's everywhere.  We do live in a cyclical world.  Remnants of the past still hang around.  The wedges and high boots are still around thanks to the 70's.  I have been seeing the 80's all over the place, so let's take a moment and celebrate the best of 80's.

The acid wash jeans are back.  Loud colors and mixing patterns are okay again.  Classic movies like the Breaksfast Club, and the Karate Kid are regularly on cable.  For some, big hair never went away.

What was it about the 80's?  Some say the decade had the best entertainment.  I must say, the music across the board was fantastic.  There were so many genres, house, freestyle, heavy metal, rock and much more.  I was busy making mix tapes and listening to vinyl.  MTV was born and introduced the video form of music.  We got to see the Culture Club with Boy George and how Girls want to have fun with Cyndi Lauper.  What is your favorite moment from the 1980's?

We were introduced to the likes of Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson had "Control."  Van Halen made us "Jump," while Michael Jackson dominated with the album Thriller.  I felt so good strolling with my walkman especially since I had made the mix tape that was playing.  With crack devastating the inner cities, you say posters and heard the slogan of "Say no to drugs," everywhere.

With a song like "Celebration" from Kool and the Gang to start the decade off, sums it up for me.  For me the energy of the 80's definitely stood out.  With theme parties, it is a popular decade to celebrate.   What have you taken from this decade?  What can we celebrate from it, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment