Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"We'd be free"


Here on the east coast we are about to transition to fall again.  The autumn season always invites me to reflect and regroup.  I guess the thought of this has me going already.  I was wondering about how the world would look like without all the ism's, racism, sexism, terrorism, homophobia, and so on.  Perhaps I could walk down the street without a cat call or someone feeling like they could comment about me while getting close to my face.  Perhaps I could walk into a store and genuinely be approached for assistance.

The Williams Institute examined the effects of exposure to everyday experiences of inequality.  No surprise to me, the study showed how stress takes a toll on the life and health of a person.  For me, it has been the difference between surviving and thriving.  The difference between consistently putting out fires, and taking the time to draw up a plan and implement it.  Martin Luther King Jr.  had a dream and shared this dream with the world.  We need to be sure to open up space for ourselves and others to dream.

We do have to get back to the realities of the world.  Even despite them, I strive to thrive.  I understand why it is hard to dream when you don't feel safe, or accepted or like you can be yourself.  I understand why it is hard to dream when you have been rejected, turned away, beaten, arrested and even killed.  The civil rights movement and now the #blacklivesmatter movement is working to decrease some of these stressors in our lives.  Naturally, we cope and navigate these stressors in all kinds of ways and the best way we can.

Well, I continue to image a world filled with equity.  I have moments where I act like it already exist.  Perhaps this habit will bring such circumstances into existence.  We even have the soundtrack made with John Lennon's song, Image; "You may say that I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one, I hope some day you'll join us and the world will be as one."

No comments:

Post a Comment