Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Be a role model

It is interesting how people ask others to be a mentor.  It is usually a stranger that gave a great first impression during a speech or event.  I rather be surrounded by advisors of all kinds and ages with all sorts of business and personal insights that can give me feedback and listen to my intended strategies.  People who know me and I have gotten to know. I am surrounded by role models and mentors, people that I admire and look up to and call friend/family.

Being a role model is the difference between leadership and management.  It is about how you carry and demonstrate your leadership.  The values you exude.  It certainly is a responsibility but one that anyone could bear.  It would just push you to be the best you.

Think about who you follow and emulate.  What communities are you apart of, on social media and otherwise.  Do these persons and communities hold the same values?  What will your legacy be?  What are their legacy intentions?

Most of us are role models anyway.  It is easier to look outside ourselves and give advice and guidance.  It almost seems to come, naturally for some of us.  The hard part is following such knowledge in our own lives. I learn from everyone and everywhere including my peers and those younger than me.  Perhaps that is why I continue to work with youth whose honesty and curiosity match my own.

For me, being a role model is about healthy competition.  I want to outdo myself at every turn not anyone else.  I want to stretch, grow and be the best me.  In order to do this, I am grateful to be within many circles and among leaders that challenge me, pull me up and tell me the honest truth.  Who are the positive role models in your life?  Who walks their talk in your circles?  How do you model after these folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment