Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Handle the truth?



The truth is a complex concept.  When we don't want to face the truth, we take a detour, circling other people's flaws and other focus points to avoid what we do not want to face.  Sometimes, we can't handle and/or don't want to handle the truth.  Like the famous line from the film, A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth," the truth can be hard to swallow.

At times, there are parts of ourselves that takes a process to digest in order to move toward acceptance.  Standing in front of the mirror reciting the genuine truth; what I know to be true, helps.  I find myself giving credit to my creativity when I am resourceful with handling the truth with how I perceive and express it.  I also credit my kindness when I hold back to gentle the blow for others.  We have to mindful about whether this is helpful or not.  It is not what you say, it is how you say it, right?

Our perception of events/situations has such a huge impact on how we take in the truth.  Some believe perception is truth, others believe perception is more important than truth.  Some believe truth can only be lived, others believe truth is perfect understanding of that which is.  What does truth mean to you?  How do you handle information, factual and otherwise?  What is your honesty process with yourself and others?

It is interesting how there is a handling of the truth.  We have to make decisions about whether we reject, process, share and/or adjust it.  The most important part of this all could start with "I" statements;  Beginning with taking responsibility for your version of the truth.  As the known phrase goes, "The truth shall set you free." 

No comments:

Post a Comment