Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Defining Success


Defining success continues to evolve for me and also depends on the particular situation. Overall, nowadays, my definition of success moves between putting myself first in a healthy way and being happy. I know what is important to me in being successful; my happiness, kindness, creativity and community. Just like much of anything else, we need to define things solely for ourselves and see what works for us best. As you continue to update your values and priorities, different definitions should come easier and with clarity.

I remember growing up, the standard of success was a version of the American dream. I say a version of the American dream because my version came from growing up in an apartment not a house. It was about getting to college and then getting a good job. It did make me wonder was this all there was to life. Going to school then getting a job? This motivated my study of entrepreneurship and I proposed this as a solution, if you don't get a job, you start a business.

I was very fortunate to attend a junior high school that did not believe in grades instead we got long written evaluations from each teacher. It showed me how you can invest in individuals and their development. The feedback I received was priceless and perhaps this was the beginning of my value of giving and receiving feedback. How do grades really measure your success in school? Perhaps this experience also taught me the value in defining things for myself too.

As I have been engaged in the Oprah and Deepak Chopra's 21 day meditation challenge of manifesting true success, I now have my eye on incorporating 7 ways to use time in my life; sleep time, physical time, focus time, time in, time out, connecting time, and play time. I believe these time dedications will continue to push my success and how I measure it. Sleep time refers to getting a good night's rest. Focus time, is about giving your brain the security of concentration, a moment alone to concentrate on what you need to and what matters to you. Time in is about reflection and listening within, time out is about just being. Physical time is about letting your body be active and move; play time, time dedicated to being carefree, and finally connecting time is about connecting deeply with another person.

Time can certainly be a measure of success. It allows you to set realistic deadlines for goals. As Maya Angelou stated, "All great achievements require time." These 7 time dedications introduced by Dr. Daniel J. Siegel of the Mindsight Institute can help me make the most of my time. The time blogging allows for play time, connecting time and time in. I hope you are making the most of your time here; being the driver of your life and your achievements. Now that this is done, I will focus on some time out.

No comments:

Post a Comment