Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Getting the message out


There are many ways to get a message out. You can write, teach and deliver a message in person. Looking back, I was such shy child. I mean painfully shy! Fast forward to junior high school, high school and my undergraduate years, when given a choice between writing a paper and giving a presentation, I would go with the later. Giving a presentation was a totally different experience for me when I grew a little older. I thought it was much painless than writing a paper, go figure.

In terms of public speaking and using it to teach and spread positive messages, I have probably hit my 10,000 hours. (Malcolm Gladwell presents a theory in his book, the Outliers about mastering skills) If you are working on your public speaking, practice, practice and practice. Malcolm Gladwell, goes on to say, “Practice isn’t the thing you do once you’re good. It’s the thing you do that makes you good.”

I had a blast at my first book event this past weekend for the book that I am apart of, The Empowered Woman: Purpose, Passion and Possibiltiies. It has been years since I spoke on a panel and engaged with an audience with such intimacy and connection. I used to present on panels and at conferences more frequently years ago. I was reminded of how inspiring it is and how much you learn from the experience. This is definitely why I almost always use the word teacher and student almost interchangeably.

Here are 4 fundamental tips for approaching presentations and public speaking:
Speak at a slower pace
Your nerves may be getting to you and you may want to rush through, remember to breathe and you know you are doing well when you are speaking slower than usual. You want the audience to follow what you are saying and hear your message.
Engage the audience
Remember to look up. You don’t have to look directly at audience members, you can look beyond them if needed.
Work through the nerves
Remember to breathe. The audience has gathered because they want to hear what you have to say. You can walk them through the agenda and when you transition. Let them know what is next. You can include the audience in what is happening.
Prepare, prepare
Prepare the way that you know is best for you, if you need to use index cards and/or print out your bullet points and/or entire paragraphs, go ahead and do so. Practice in front of the mirror, in front of live people, etc… Go ahead and gather your thoughts so your message is heard.

If you are in the New York area, and would like to join me at my next speaking event, follow me @coachclari on twitter and direct message me for any speaking engagement requests in and outside of New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment