Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My artist date


I actually have been in the practice of artist dates for some time now. I just did not have the language. For me, artist dates are about exploring new things on my own. I like my company enough to go on solo expeditions. At times, I prefer to do so in order to experience myself fully without judgment of my emotions and other parts of myself that may come up. Some of my favorite artist dates are just simple movie dates.

"Creativity lies in paradox: serious art is born from serious play."-from the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.  After reading both the Artist's Way and the Joy Diet by Matha Beck, making a conscious intention to integrate play regularly into my life is a mindful task.  On one of my artist's date, I went to a Sesame Street exhibit.  It was so much fun to see all of my favorite Sesame Street characters on display like Bert and Ernie, the Count and cookie monster.  I witnessed how Sesame Street is experienced all over the world and watched an episode from London.  You could even draw your own muppets.  It was nice to see that I was not the only adult enjoying myself.  There were other adults there that were childless at the time. 

So artist dates are described as assigned play once a week where you explore something that interests you.  As Julia Cameron describes it, "The Artist Date need not be overtly "artistic"-think mischief more than mastery."  It is about encouraging creativity and imagination and refilling your creative well. For me this allows for play, inspiration and regeneration.  Everyone needs all of these elements in their lives.  On the Artist's Way blog there is a list of 101 ideas of how to spend an artist date.  I encourage you to google it, if you are interested in starting the practice. 

Another creative method assigned in the Artist's Way are the morning pages.  I definitely engage in the morning pages, my blog is a direct result of such.  For me, this is my dedicated time to writing.  Spending some time on your own to reflect and have fun is good for your health.  How are you spending some personal quality time?  How are you regularly renergizing yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment