Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Artist in You


Exploring the creative sides of ourselves is so beneficial to our overall health. Today, innovative thinking and problem solving is a staple in leadership. I can’t think of any other way to build on these skills besides exploring the creative parts of your person. Creating can be done in so many ways like writing, painting, building, dancing, acting, designing, singing, photography, and all other areas of art. Creative expression has long been known to have an uplifting effect on people. It enhances communication, self expression, self esteem and confidence.

April is national poetry month. It just reminds me that we need to celebrate the artist in us all. Although, writing is something I am connected to now, dancing was the first art form I was apart of. It was probably the first fun that I learned from both of my parents. Their love of dancing salsa and merengue was infectious. I was put in dance classes at a young age and value to this day how it taught me so much about grace.

Last March, I had the opportunity to celebrate the dancer in me. I was invited by my sister friend and founder/director of Amor & Heritage to showcase the organization at a grantee and art grant conference. It was an honor and pleasure to dance side by side with someone I love and admire and it was great to celebrate her work and achievements. I love the way art brings people together. On that stage, I felt connected to her and the other dancers and responded to them in that instant. It was also amazing to bare witness to the dancers leaving their hearts on that stage. I am grateful for the dancer in me and how I was able to celebrate that part of me in community.

What is remarkable about Amor & Heritage is that not only does the organization invite others to join in multiculturalism through dance as an art form; it also passes along traditions and history with how the dances are taught and shared. The costumes are so authentic and maintain cultural tradition. It is a fun way to learn about history and get people of all ages dancing. There is just so many ways art can have an impact. Should you need to add a cultural performance to an event, Amor & Heritage is based out of Buffalo, New York and has performed throughout the state within reasonable budget and travel requirements; like them on facebook.

What is the first art form you became familiar with? What is the art form that excites you, now? How do you engage with the artist in you? How do you integrate these gifts with your day to day activities? How do you celebrate the artist in you? I admire the creative part of a person because I have found that it inspires, directs and motivates me in ways that are nurturing, and educational. Is there anything that does that for you? Honor your creative gifts and use them to help you problem solve and build community.

No comments:

Post a Comment