Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Quiet Leader

I am a proud introvert. Although, most people do not believe me when I say it, I am happy to operate from a place of quiet and calm. Russell Simmons just recently released a new book, Success through Stillness. This book is demonstrating how to effectively advance your goals and dreams from the practice of quieting your mind. For many introverts, this comes naturally.

I am happy to see that being a powerful and effective leader is no longer only associated with extroverts. Although, we still have work to do in being inclusive as to who leaders are and what qualities they possess, at least there are many telling the stories of introverted leaders. A lot has been written about leaders like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Abraham Lincoln who have been identified as introverted.

In the spirit of women’s history month, I would like to briefly highlight leaders that I see as quiet strengths. As a quiet leader myself, I appreciate and look up to Dolores Huerta for her strength, perseverance and loving spirit. She is one of my sheroes because so much of how she leads is how I lead. Her intuition and hard work took her leadership to the front of the farmer’s movement and as an advocate for children’s and immigrant rights. Introverts don’t boost and brag about their accomplishments which is why many people don’t know that she coined the phrase, “Si se puede” (yes, we can).

Susan L. Taylor is known for being the force behind Essence Magazine. My favorite part of her involvement with Essence was a column she wrote named, In the Spirit. She went on to reprint the collection of essays from her column in a book of the same name. The tales of her leadership experience both growth and struggles were expressed in personal and meaningfully ways; an aspect of my writings that I strive for. She uses her experiences to help others and now she is focused on doing so through mentoring and encouraging others to mentor young minds.

Susan Cain has been an instrumental leader in leading the conversation about quiet leadership with her book, Quiet; the Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking. Jennifer Kahnweiler has written two books on the subject, The Introverted Leader: Building on your Quiet Strength and Quiet Influence: the Introvert’s Guide to Making a Difference. Kahnweiler highlights 4 key skills introverts possess; they prepare, push themselves, practice and are present.

Introverts may be reserved and understated, yet we make ourselves heard when we have something that needs to be said. All this while we manage to successfully operate within a world that champions extroverts. Next time you participate in a discussion, meeting and/or conversation think about your intentions with what you are going to share. Am I speaking just to speak or do I have something to say? Explore your quiet strength of leadership, perhaps you can learn to call upon this part of yourself when you need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment