Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Practicing non attachment


It has taken me some time to figure out how to put into practice this idea of non attachment. The key I have found is to let go of expectations. I practice setting intentions instead. It is the idea of not wanting for anything. This is apart of abundance based thinking as opposed to lack thinking. The choice to be fully present instead of bringing your wishes along and magically trying to get everyone around you and whomever is present to take on these wishes to your satisfaction.

The minute I stopped wanting for other people, a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I don't want for anyone else nor myself. I can't want for anyone else anyway. The person has to want for themselves for anything to come into fruition. I recently read an article that captures the experience of expectations. "When you sit down and listen to someone you love talk to you, your story about who you think they are will color your expectations about what they say, and your story about yourself colors how you expect to respond (JC Peters, Spirituality and Health). JC goes on to say, "If you can release the person you love, from your story about them, you can really, fully listen to them and hear what they have to say." Yes, you may not actually know what someone you know so well will say, do and/or feel.

Another key form of non attachment is being in the present. Releasing old ideas of yourself and others can permit bringing the now in. Being non attached is not about being detached from anything or anyone. It is about putting your values and beliefs into practice in a way that brings empathy, compassion and openness to yourself and those you encounter. Ultimately, we are working to release one of the oldest illusions of mankind that others will save you and give you constant happiness. As I say all the time, you are the only person responsible for your feelings; this includes happiness. Why look outside of yourself?

It's a lovely feeling of freedom when you learn to let go of any expectations you may have of someone, something and/or any events. The start of an ambitious practice is to take one step at a time. Forgive yourself when you are not working at the pace you hoped for. Planning is helpful and useful for me. It allows me to be prepared and flexible enough to shift my needs and wants. This leaves me ready for whatever comes. As I have been known to say, "Preparation allows us to be fully present when that moment arrives and you will know when that movement arrives."

1 comment:

  1. Currently putting non attachment into practice in all of my relationships, starting with myself of course. Now, we all know what happens once you announce your intention to the universe, you better mean it! Thank you Clarissa, for clarifying this process.

    ReplyDelete