Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Demonstrate your dignity


Demonstrate your dignity was the message I received and will carry from the film, Selma. It was such a thoughtful and intentional portrayal of the events that took place in Alabama and also of the great Martin Luther King Jr. I definitely value my voting rights a little bit more. I certainly know and should be reminded about how I stand on the backs of those who came before me.

The human portrayal of King is memorable. The Director, Ava DuVernay has roots in Alabama and makes the story a personal, identifiable one that is rooted in community. With all that is happening now with human relations in America and all over the world, this film brings hope and speaks to us at this time. This year marks the 50th Anniversary of both the Selma marches and the passage of the Voting Rights Act.

As I glance over the audience of the persons watching the Selma film alongside me, I noticed the diversity with pleasure. Sure, it is New York City, one of the most diverse cities in the world and yet like other places, New Yorkers could choose differently. The diversity of audiences is important here. Selma is a film for everyone, a film for all people. We get reminded that the progress made during the civil rights era was largely due to all sorts of people coming together for equality and justice.

My cultural roots have been infused into all my work. I proudly speak of my identity and culture as an Afro Latina now pretty regularly though workshops, panels and curriculum I have written and implemented. I believe as human beings we are more the same than different and I still rejoice in the slight differences that influence my being. This is how I demonstrate my dignity today; by telling my story and helping other tell theirs. I also demonstrate it by sharing and spreading the value of diversity.

Diversity is probably a value most New Yorkers have and might now be aware of. The world is at our footsteps and all around us in a huge city like New York. We thrive and grow in a diverse environment, at least this New Yorker does. I guess I demonstrate my dignity as a New Yorker in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment