Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I like a photo


It has been a long time since I liked a photo. I don’t usually like to be photographed either. As a former professional ballerina, I now have grown attached to the art of writing but why should we indulge in just one art form at a time? After exploring photography with a photojournalist during the August Academy at the CUNY School of Journalism, I liked a couple of photos! The photo below was my favorite from the experience.

The photography assignment we received during class was to go out and capture a portrait, light and/or shadow and/or an emotion. I am grateful that the class renewed my attraction to photography. I have more confidence in my photo taking and also am taking more photos than ever before. I have always thought of photography as an innate art form. I notice those around me who have an eye for it and never thought of myself in this way. I still don’t think I have a natural eye for it and I will continue to enjoy the better photos that I take.

We all have the capacity to be creative and we use our creativity in many ways. Some start with just ideas and others nurture particular art forms. I believe all problem solving activities engage creativity. Just because I have always sensed that photography does not come to me as natural as I would like, does not mean I should not nurture the skill. Are you holding yourself back from creative outlets because you do not fit into the beliefs you have about them?

Nowadays, it is so easy to google what you don’t know and try something new. You can YouTube instructional videos anytime you want. You would think that coming out of our comfort zones would be so much easier. A great way to start is to know how you get inspired. I am inspired by reading, researching and testing, like taking hands on classes like the one I have described above. This helps with the confidence to branch out. We need to press the refresh button in our lives every once in awhile. How do you take time away from entrenched routines? How do you get away when you can’t really take a getaway?

Finding inspiration keeps me motivated, interested and empowers me to explore new things. I continue to be committed to the parts of myself that are student and teacher. I am grateful and feel fortunate that I breathe in inspiration from the simplest things, places, persons and stories. Creativity is a way of being. I hope that my picture can inspire you to explore creative outlets that you have always wanted to try. As the great quote goes, “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.”- Jack Canfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment