Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The power of community

I write this blog to model exploring different sides of myself, practicing first hand what I believe holistic leadership to be. I hope that you are exploring with me. I like to examine the unexamined and challenge us to meet the needs of our true selves as opposed to what early learnings and outside influences have taught and hypnotized us with. My intention is to guide you through some exploration so that your mind clears up and you build your capacity for making clear intentions for yourself in moving your journey forward in the best way you are able at this time.

After exploring many parts of yourself, I recommend you identify your community. I am not talking about what groups you belong to, I believe there to be a difference. You may be grouped into certain categories by others, I am talking about how you identify yourself and what communities you have chosen to be apart of. Who do you build community with? Why? Who do you admire and what type of people would you like to be surrounded by?

Coming together in community is so powerful. As a community builder & community manager, I notice that I build community for myself and through work projects. I build at work through coalition work, and facilitating difficult conversations for and with different communities. I build for myself in connecting and relationship building with thought leaders that hold the same values. I engage in events where dialogues are taking place that I can contribute to and learn from.

The center piece for my community building has always been food. I notice that there are now formal network brunches which I believe in and support. Food will forever bring people together. To break bread is such an old and honored tradition that still holds true today. I have learned from my grandmother that food and feeding people can be a way to show your love and respect. What are your favorite things to share when in community? What brings your communities together?

I learn so much from community and in community with members, who like me are thought leaders, spiritual seekers, authors, leadership development professionals, life long learners, community and earth advocates and much more. The benefits of community building are endless; you have an audience of support, an audience of mentors, teachers, students, leaders and supporters. Communities transcend lives individually and together at the same time. With community you lay the foundation for your network and areas where you can grow and thrive.

What I enjoy most about community is the sharing and exchanging of ideas that are near and dear to our hearts. What are important dialogues do you want to be apart of? How do you engage in them? How can your communities make a difference? Coming together in unity always stands for the best results so how do you engage in community?

No comments:

Post a Comment