Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A moment for poets and the creative

Creativity is an undervalued part of ourselves. As a community we downplay the arts in schools and how it opens us to grow, focus and learn. I never considered myself a creative person although I have been writing poetry since I was twelve. Over the past two years, I have changed my perspective on creativity and have committed to this blog, and embraced that writing is one of my creative outlets. I am also contributing to the book, “The Empowered Woman; Purpose, Passion & Possibilities” out next summer.

I am a poet and it’s not too surprising being that my generation grew up on hip hop. In fact one of my classmates from junior high school became a rapper, a female rapper. We would listen in on the boys when they formed their ciphers before and after school. I lived with insomnia those days and would happily tune in to all the latest hip hop at 1 and/or 2 am in the morning. I would often tape these early morning radio sessions and share the music with friends to discuss, debate and enjoy.

We are all born with our gifts and talents. Most of them can be part of our purpose. It took me a long time to treasure mine. I encourage you to embrace your creative selfs and use your gifts and talents as outlets. Take pleasure in your gifts and the best way to do that is to share them! These talents and gifts can heal you and others; and allow you to become that peaceful warrior when you need to be. How do you channel your creative and positive energies? What is your creative outlet?

With the recent passing of Amiri Baraka, I felt even more compelled to celebrate poetry for a moment. How many poets do you know and celebrate? How often do we celebrate creativity and our creative selves? Everyone should enjoy and pleasure in their creative outlet. Commit to an acting class, dancing class, painting class, writing class, and/or anything else you always wanted to try and have denied yourself.

Let me end with another moment for poets. Let’s take a moment for Russell Simmons for his successful attempts to celebrate poetry and bringing it to the masses with HBO series like Def Poetry Jam, and Brave New Voices; and bringing Def Poetry to Broadway and across the country. Let’s take a moment for the film, Slam for its popularity and critical acclaim. Let’s take a moment to salute poets like Amiri Baraka for such bravery in his story telling in poetry. Let’s take a moment for poets. Let’s take a moment for creativity. Who are your creative s/heroes? Who and/or what do you need to take a moment for?




No comments:

Post a Comment